the barn in fall

the barn in fall

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Power, Scotty!

Storms mean power outages.  Power outages mean no water, since pumping it out of the ground requires electricity.  No water means no toilets - now, there's a major irritation.  So preparing for a storm like the one pounding us right now means checking the water supply.  I keep six full 2-1/2 gallon jugs in the garage year round:
There are two more in the house, plus a few empty ones in the basement.  If the power goes out we start filling jugs until we drain the pipes.  With judicious use, that's a few days of washing up and flushing toilets.  Ah, sweet civilization!  In the summer, when a horse might drink 5 gallons of water a day, that's barely enough for one day, and forget the washing up. 

Power outages also mean no computer, which means I am reduced to writing the old fashioned way with a pen and paper - in my opinion, one step above a stone tablet and chisel.  To be prepared I usually print out the last 2 or 3 pages of my work in progress before the storm hits.  That way I can review and edit, which helps me slip back into the story.  My output suffers, but it's better than nothing.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen with this storm, but with a foot of snow pulling down tree limbs and power lines, I can't count on it. 

So... Water bottles are full.  Pages are printed.  Warp speed, Mr. Sulu, and keep those engines running, Scotty!

No comments:

Post a Comment