the barn in fall

the barn in fall

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kissing and What It Has in Common with Dead Trucks

My fictional heroine was just kissed by the hero, an eye-opening event for them both since she's on a date and he's not the one she came with.  Uh-oh.  So should I allow her to be dazed as she returns to her date, or should I have that poor schmuck catch them in the act?  Definitely catch them!  Rule One in writing a romance - if anything worse can possibly go wrong, make it happen.  It keeps the story interesting, and makes the reader root for your characters.  Like real life, but worse. 

Like as soon as your lame horse is better, the dog develops an eye infection, and the truck decides that it might not start today.  After it's already taken you to the store.  My trusty truck pulled one of those today, catching and dying and catching and dying as I thought with a sinking feeling about the 18 degree weather and how long it would take a tow truck to get there.  Then the ignition caught and held.  I believe I have been warned.  The truck will go see the truck doctor tomorrow.

And to whatever Fate is writing my life - I hope we don't subscribe to the same theory of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment