the barn in fall

the barn in fall

Monday, January 17, 2011

Play Day

I don't usually write on the weekends, but this weekend I had several hours to myself with nothing to do, and my story kept running through my mind.  I could have easily sat down and knocked out a few pages.  But time off is important, and letting the characters play around in my head helps me know them better.  So I read instead.  For me, that's pure, carefree fun.

The horses took time off for play, too.  They've been sticking close to the barn all week, trudging through the snow like kids who are bored and don't know what to do.  But Saturday afternoon they got playful and took advantage of the full length of the pasture to stretch out and run.  I got a short video of the sprint when they came back to the barn after the first lap.  Code Red is in front with Remi right behind, and Fritz lagging far behind them.  (At 28, I give him credit for even breaking out of a trot!).  As they come back, Remi makes a wide circle just for the sheer joy of it, and my Siberian husky, Nikita, races Code Red along the fence line. 


Sometimes it feels good to cut loose and run for no reason at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment