the barn in fall

the barn in fall

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Barn Cats

A truism about barns and cats:  If you build it, they will come.  I suspect that somewhere in the trees behind our barn, at cat-level, there is a sign reading "Free Room and Board" with a flashing neon arrow pointing at our barn.  In fourteen years here, six stray cats have moved into our barn.  Some later "moved up" to become house cats; currently three cats call our barn home.  They earn their keep, killing mice.

Most cats that come are tame.  Two were wild, and both had litters before I could trap them and have them spayed ( and eventually tame them.)  We placed all the kittens in homes except for two which we kept.  Sophie and Frieda became a group project for our animals, with two of our male cats watching over them, bathing them, and bringing them dead mice - and later live ones - to teach them to hunt.  Our extremely patient male husky played mom to the kittens who loved cuddling up to his furry stomach.  This is Juneau, with his foster kittens Sophie and Frieda.  Everyone say, Awww...

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I am always torn on if I should get attached to the barn cats. They sure do like me though. Its like I send off some message that says if you come over here I will pay attention to you. They will run from the boys but come to me.

    --Lisa McGeen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! My husband swears I have that same genes for attracting cats. I think it just proves they're incredible judges of character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Your cousin Doreen sent me over to visit.
    I love cats. Maybe I should get a barn!

    ReplyDelete