the barn in fall

the barn in fall

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Living in the First Draft

My characters are busy wrapping up the plot of my latest book, bringing the good guys and bad guys together for the Black Moment, and setting up the emotional conflict so that it looks like there will be no happily ever after just before WHAM, there it is.  It's complex, and occasionally they get it wrong. 

Yesterday they acted out a scene, ending it with an insightful point to ponder.  Blech.  They should have ended it with a load of emotional angst, with undertones of impending danger.  So as the director of this drama, I yelled cut, deleted a couple pages, and made them back up and take their conversation and their wandering hands in a different direction.  Now the good guy is ready to rip the lungs out of the bad guy, while the girl is all torn up over the bad news she hasn't yet delivered to the good guy.  Much better.

And that's when I thought how nice it would be if I could hit delete and re-write a few scenes in my own life.  Like, every day.  Then I could say all those clever things I think of two minutes too late.

1 comment: